Some dental offices charge more than $1,000 for dental guards, which is enough to make your jaw hit the floor but why does a night guard cost so much? Unsurprisingly, a dental night guard is the result of a detailed process involved that causes the cost of night guards to be so high.
Why Night Guards Are So Expensive
While an over-the-counter night guard will be inexpensive, it doesn’t compare to the perfect fit a custom night guard offers. That fit makes the guard much more effective than a one-size-fits-all guard.
But creating a custom night guard takes time and money. The labor and materials to complete each step add to the price tag of your custom-fit night guard.
- First, your dentist or dental hygienist will take impressions of your teeth at the dental office.
- Then, your dental impressions are sent to a lab where professional technicians will make your night guard. These professional labs use detailed and precise craftsmanship to create your custom mouth guard.
- Finally, your dentist or dental hygienist will bring you back to the office to ensure your night guard fits properly. This step can take multiple appointments to get the fit just right.
Each of the above steps requires professional labor and professional materials, which is why custom night guards tend to be more expensive.
While some dental insurance plans cover night guards, coverage varies for each plan and many dental insurance plans do not cover night guards at all. Check with your insurance company to learn more about your coverage.
Mouth Guard Pricing Options
While there is no doubt that night guards are expensive, there are options that can save you money. You have three main night guard pricing options:
- Over-the-counter night guards are the cheapest option. They can be bought at a drugstore or online retailer like Amazon and can cost as low as $10.
- Custom-fit night guards from dental offices are the most expensive option. This is the mouthguard you would buy through your dentist, and it can cost up to $1,000.
- Custom-fit night guards from online dental labs offer prices between over-the-counter night guards and custom-fit guards from dental offices. However, the quality is what you would receive from a dental office. You can buy these night guards directly from an online dental lab, and they often cost around $150-$200.
These options give you more flexibility and allow you to have more choice in your dental care.
Why Do You Need a Night Guard?
Though custom-fit night guards can be expensive, they help protect you from the damaging and painful effects of bruxism. Let’s review why night guards are essential to your oral health.
Sleep bruxism leaves your teeth vulnerable to breaking or cracking. A bite guard will protect your teeth from this teeth grinding and clenching damage, and it can also help alleviate other bruxism symptoms. Some common symptoms of bruxism include:
- Sore jaw muscles
- Jaw pain
- Upper and/or lower teeth damage
- Tooth pain and sensitivity
- Ear pain
- Facial soreness
- Inner cheek damage
You don’t need to get your night guard directly from your dentist to protect your teeth and manage these symptoms. A custom-fit night guard from an online retailer basically provides the same professionally-made night guard you would get from your dentist.
- Can A Night Guard Shift Your Teeth?
- How Should A Mouthguard Fit?
- Can A Mouth Guard Help With Sleep Apnea?
Where to Get an Affordable Night Guard
Your dentist may have quoted you an exorbitant price for a night guard, but that doesn’t mean you’re stuck paying that amount. When you get your night guard directly from a dental lab, you can save hundreds of dollars.
Pro Teeth Guard offers custom-fit mouthguards online for an affordable price. Our night guards are made in a professional dental lab using professional materials and processes. This is effectively the mouthguard you’d receive from a dentist. However, you’ll receive your guard at a lower price and without leaving your home.